Europa-List: wing drop

Subject: Europa-List: wing drop
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 14:37:56
David,
        You mentioned:
>"  I got a bit lazy once, had the ball out to the left, and sure enough I
had a wing drop
>(about 80deg in about half a second )- in other words the incipient stage
of a spin.

>Standard recovery worked well, (as a reminder:- stick forward to break the
>stall, **smoothly up to full power, roll wings level.) lost about 300 ft.
and
>the aircraft recovered immaculately.  Please also remember the "stall
speed"
>is only wing level and unaccellerated stall speed.  Wings actually stall
due
>to the angle of attack !  OK review over - for which I appologise."

        There will (or have been) others to note this, [Svein and Carl for
instance]but I
have flown maybe 56 various aircraft, mostly advanced, and in stall recovery
(or spin
prevention) none of those ever used the word 'roll' until having used
'rudder' (yaw).
The only time I can remember the roll word was about number 52 in tumbling a
T33
and it said don't touch a damn thing until you find out what it settles into
- and then it
said Rudder First.*
        Angle of attack as cause of stall is correct as far as it goes, but
wing drop is
an indication of the slower wing - and only yaw speeds up that wing - with
rudder.
That's why I suspected "wind-wag" or "tail-wag" instructions at Oshkosh as a

possible cause of the low-level stall and spin we all regret.
        I only write this because impressions are easy to instill when tyros
read this
column and I'm sure you meant it to come out differently.
Cheers, Ferg
* Admittedly one of them said "....in a tumble, try everything till you find
the one that
works, otherwise eject at 13,000 AGL because you are already below 9,000
[lag]."
** I think "recover from dive with engine idle" comes next......

.