Europa-List: Fw: Fire extinguishers

Subject: Europa-List: Fw: Fire extinguishers
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 19:23:38

[quote:6d7c3b23c0="josok"]Frans, and all,
Airplanes are full of compromises. However you put it, there will always a risk
factor. It may sound funny, but the best way to stay out of fires is not to
crash.
That is priority number one. And a a result people start adding return valves.
Generally, adding components, especially components that you can not possibly
check on every pre-flight is adding risk. And the reason is wrong, fuel
came out because the pumps were still running.
[/quote:6d7c3b23c0]

Yes, in your case it didn't matter. But I just realised that when the fuel
return
line breaks, you can't close it, and the tank will drain through it.
Question yourself why we have a fuel valve at all. This is to switch off the
fuel,
in case a line ruptures or something. If it closes only half of the fuel lines,
it doesn't make much sense. A better way is a fuel valve that closes also
the fuel return line. A one way valve is also a good solution.

Granted, adding components also introduces failure opportunities. It is a
trade-off.
The Rotax 914 would have less chances for a fuel leak if you install only
one fuel pump. Still, people use two fuel pumps despite the extra components
because they feel it is safer (me to). I feel it is safer if I have a way to
close all fuel lines from the fuel tank, and not just one of them. ;-)

[quote:6d7c3b23c0="josok"]
Recovering well, right eye written off. about 2 weeks to go before ready to
ship.
[/quote:6d7c3b23c0]

Do I misread this, or do you mean indeed that your right eye won't recover? If
so, that is very bad news! I feel very sorry for you!

Frans

Visit -  www.EuropaOwners.org