Re: Europa-List: Classic stall characteristics

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Classic stall characteristics
From: zwakie <mz@cariama.nl>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 21:03:42

Graham and all,

Speeds, AOA, wash-outs and recovery technique for incipient spins are all clear,
I consider those things essential knowledge to everyone acting as P1.
Nonetheless
thanks for reminding me and possibly others.

I do not worry at all about stalling or incipient spins at safe altitudes, but
I would not be happy flying an aircraft that has an 'strong wish' to enter
stalls/spins
while flying at lower-than-cruise speeds, flaps selected and possibly
a slightly high AOA in a not truly coordinated turn. My pattern-flying tends
to have small deviations in these things, after all I am not a highly sensitive,
nanoseconds-responsive 3-axis AP :D. This probably to more or lesser degree
applies to all of us (not implying sloppy flying by anyone here, so don't slap
me! :wink: ).

Without ever having flown such an aircraft, I guess that turning final is where
you really have to be on high-alert with a plane like that, because that's when
these elements are easiest aligned for entering a stall/spin that most likely
is going to be non-recoverable.

With the above in mind, I want to make sure that the characteristics are within
MY PERSONAL limits.

It goes without saying that doing stalls in different configs will be an
important
part of test-flying the plane. I was wondering if there are other ways you
can tell if a plan has a tendency to violently drop a wing.

Hence my question that actually has not been answered: is there any way you can
tell from physically inspecting a Classic Europa that it might have a tendency
to violently drop a wing?

Visit -  www.EuropaOwners.org