Re: Europa-List: Oil Pressure Sender

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil Pressure Sender
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 08:33:40

Thanks Nigel,

The oil sender extension hose will be one of the mods on our extensive to do
list this winter. The plane is now 5 years old and is showing signs of
"wear".

We intend to take her off line sometime over the winter and spend a
concentrated fortnight fixing all the niggles we missed when she was first
built.

We are also seriously considering a VP prop after a series of scary takeoffs
in nil wind and very warm conditions (ie: last Sunday). The most recent was
---From Bicester with a run of over 900 metres and we still scraped over the
boundary fence at 150 feet. We checked all the usual suspects - engine
delivering full power?   - brakes binding? - wind direction - grass length
etc. Everything appeared to be as normal.

The only consolation (if any) was that other pilots complained of similar
problems so we guess it was just down to the conditions on the day.

What we need to figure out is whether the benefit from a VP will be
sufficient on its own without upgrading the engine. The static RPM is 5200
(std 80 hp Rotax). Presumably we could boost the RPM to 6000 with a finer
pitch on the prop but were not sure what difference that would make.

Still, we have six months to figure that one out.

Best wishes,

Carl & Dot