Re: Europa-List: surging engine on take-off

Subject: Re: Europa-List: surging engine on take-off
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 10:12:52

ken carpenter a crit :
> Yesterday taking off, the engine surged as the turbo kicked in it went
> up to 5700 RPM then dropped back into the 4800 range.  I tried several
> runs but aborted the take-off as it continues to surge.  Checked the
> prop governor and it checked out as functioning correctly.;  Took the
> cowl off and the turbo arm seems to cycle correctly when the master
> turned on and the throttle cycled.  Tied the plane down and ran it up
> to 5700 rpm.  It did not surge at all.
> Any idea?  I have not tried to fly it again yet.

Ken,

Of course this may be the first thing you checked, but an incorrect
rigging of the throttles may lead to boost irregularities when in the
100/115 % throttle opening range.
What you are describing reminds me of what COULD happen if the throttles
are not in the full 115% position, and are stuck somewhere between about
108 and 115%.
Do you have the required 100% gate on the throttle lever ?

Best regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr