Europa-List: surging engine on take-off

Subject: Europa-List: surging engine on take-off
From: ken carpenter <kbcarpenter@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 20:43:59
Yesterday taking off, the engine surged as the turbo kicked in it went
up to 5700 RPM then dropped back into the 4800 range.  I tried several
runs but aborted the take-off as it continues to surge.  Checked the
prop governor and it checked out as functioning correctly.;  Took the
cowl off and the turbo arm seems to cycle correctly when the master
turned on and the throttle cycled.  Tied the plane down and ran it up to
5700 rpm.  It did not surge at all.
Any idea?  I have not tried to fly it again yet.
Ken Carpenter
N 9XS   914 Mono at 430 hours TT