Re: Europa-List: Fuel supply reliability discussion

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel supply reliability discussion
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:39:41

John, I would endorse the value of a low fuel pressure warning light. I have
a simple pressure switch set at 3 psi triggering a bright red light in front
of my nose. If I deliberately or inadvertently run the main tank dry it
lights up in time to switch over to reserve without the engine stopping.
      I remember also a story of the early 914 company demonstrator having
fuel starvation related rough running due to fuel tank derived gunge in the
gascolator, which cleared well enough to get them home when the second
electric fuel pump was switched on - which suggests that a fuel pressure
alarm system would give reasonable notice of impending filter/gascolator
blockage to allow the extra pump to see you home.

      Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ