Re: Europa-List: Fuel supply reliability discussion

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel supply reliability discussion
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 21:32:26

John & Paddy Wigney wrote:

> I am sure that there are many ways to achieve these objectives, but my
> installation is a Grand Rapids EIS with a fuel pressure sensor which
> is located between the engine mechanical pump and the carburetors.
> The pressure alarm is set at 0.5 psi. My fuel filter is an Andair
> GAS125 mini gascolator and contrary to the experience of others, I
> have never found more than very minor trash in the bowl. I have no
> idea why I have seen so little trash and no slime when others have had
> significant stoppages. I installed the filter under the baggage bay
> shelf. I also have the fuel flow sensor and totaliser option which
> gives accurate indication of consumption and when the '4.0 gallons
> remaining' alarm goes off, I know I need to look for a fuel stop. I
> have tank level capacitance gauges so I can always cross check.
>
> Cheers, John

John
I think your choice is a wise one, although I would use the GAS 375 for
a 914 installation, the recirculation results in much higher fuel flows
which has been known to block a GAS125 with very fine rust
particles.(from a jerry can) The mesh is 120 micron (from memory) which
is smaller than the mesh in a "Mr Funnel" filter funnel. Both will stop
water.
Andair told me the Rotax specify filter smaller than 100 mu. and 120 is
the nearest available.
Graham