Europa-List: Fuel supply reliability discussion

Subject: Europa-List: Fuel supply reliability discussion
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 15:45:35
Dear Europaphiles,

There was some recent discussion regarding blocked fuel filters during
early test flying on the Europa. Some of these stories have happy
endings, others have resulted in accidents. Before I flew my plane in
2001, there had already been quite a lot of discussion on this same
subject and I had concluded that if the Rotax 912/912S/914 is supplied
with fuel, it will generally run without trouble. If one has dirty fuel
for whatever reason, any filter system will block eventually. I
therefore looked for a system which would (1) provide an alarm if there
was a loss of fuel pressure at the carbs and (2) provide an alarm when I
was low on fuel (4 gallons say).

I am sure that there are many ways to achieve these objectives, but my
installation is a Grand Rapids EIS with a fuel pressure sensor which is
located between the engine mechanical pump and the carburetors.  The
pressure alarm is set at 0.5 psi. My fuel filter is an Andair GAS125
mini gascolator and contrary to the experience of others, I have never
found more than very minor trash in the bowl. I have no idea why I have
seen so little trash and no slime when others have had significant
stoppages. I installed the filter under the baggage bay shelf. I also
have the fuel flow sensor and totaliser option which gives accurate
indication of consumption and when the '4.0 gallons remaining' alarm
goes off, I know I need to look for a fuel stop. I have tank level
capacitance gauges so I can always cross check.

In 500 hours, I have only had the fuel pressure alarm go off once
(apparently due to an air bubble in the system after some fuel hose
replacements - the problem cleared when I switched on the electric
pump). I have never checked the interval from low fuel pressure alarm
and lack of fuel to engine stop but I believe it is approximately 20
seconds; this is quite short but at least it gives a brief warning of
impending stop.

Cheers, John

N262WF, mono XS, 912S
Mooresville, North Carolina