Re: Europa-List: Stalls and spins

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Stalls and spins
From: William Mills <william@wrmills.plus.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 08:44:09

David was referring to the "Smartass" fitted to my Europa, so you might be
interested in my view on its operation and safety aspect.
The strip I am using at present has trees right up to one end and power
lines at the other end, so when on the approach and climb-out my eyeballs
are right out on storks to make sure I am taking the best line with maximum
clearance and enough runway to stop.
On climb-out Helen tells me every few seconds what my airspeed is so that I
can hold it at the best climb-angle speed to clear the obstructions and on
the approach I set it to my target approach speed for the current conditions
and hold it at that while I negotiate the obstructions.  Helen then tells me
if I am "fast", or "very fast" or "slow" or "very slow", but if I get it
right she just says "speed good" which is very comforting in difficult
conditions.  Also when the speed is "good" the interval between Helen's
announcements is longer and when the speed is "slow" or "very slow" the
interval becomes much shorter to emphasise the urgency.
I have also found it to be very useful if I inadvertently stray into cloud,
because there is one less instrument to worry about and there is a little
more time to adjust the GPS or radio without losing the plot.
There is just an on/off/volume knob and a mode selection push-button, so it
occupies only about a square inch of panel space and the box of tricks
weighs only a few ounces and can be installed anywhere remotely.  Having
fitted one, I can confirm that it is a great safety asset and I would no
longer be without one, difficult strips or not.  Very many thanks to Mark
for his brilliant innovation.
Best wishes,
William