RE: Europa-List: Stalls and spins

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Stalls and spins
From: willie.harrison@tinyonline.co.uk
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 11:22:53

It seems to me that everyone is right - it doesn't matter how you stay alert
to the possibility of one or both wings stalling, if you let them, so long
as you really do stay alert and maintain a safe margin at all times. Alert
is the operative word. I'm sure we have all been reminded by this tragedy
that stall/spin is a common killer and it could happen to any of us if we
let it.

The one specific thing I'd like to share was an incident ages ago when I
stalled a Jodel from 30 feet due to windshear at Audley End (which can be
very fickle if the wind is coming straight over the top of the hill). One
moment I had an approach airspeed of 50kts, and the next it was 30 and I
was falling not flying. Fortunately that aircraft had loads of washout on
the wing so at least I came down the right way up.

Willie Harrison
G-BZNY - about to get a dose of Mod 66 following breakage of gas strut
attachment
lug...

Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!