Europa-List: Upside down Europa

Subject: Europa-List: Upside down Europa
From: Richard Iddon <riddon@sent.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 11:34:46
I regularly practice stalling but up to now have generally only done so
when fairly straight and level.  With all the discussion about stalling
in the turn, I thought I would have a go yesterday. Climbed to about
5000ft. and tried stalling in various configurations. Flaps down I
couldn't really get the aircraft to drop a wing although I didn't put in
a lot of rudder.  However, stalling clean with the aircraft balanced and
about 20/30 degrees of bank, the wing dropped violently and the rotation
continued until I very rapidly found myself completely inverted.
Cushions, maps etc. all over the place. The aircraft pulled out without
any problem (not quite sure which way as I was somewhat disoriented) but
I lost somewhere over 500 foot in the process.

A salutary lesson and will certainly make me think hard about
maintaining airspeed and being careful in turns nearer to the ground.

Richard Iddon G-RIXS