Re: Europa-List: Anyone using Decalin lead scavenger in Rotax?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Anyone using Decalin lead scavenger in Rotax?
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:30:46

I talked to Chris from Decalin today.

His product, Decalin TCP uses the same active ingredient as Alcor TCP, but
instead of the carrier being Tolulene, it is the same carrier as used in
jet fuel PRIST, some sort Ethel or something or other.

He said Rotax needs only 1/2 the dosage of Lyc. or Cont. which would be
1/2oz. per 20 gallons instead of 1/2oz. per 10 gallons.

Detriment to using too much, is it creates Lead Phosphate deposits, a
yellow substance. He said you can clean out with a good automotive
combustion chamber cleaner, if you see the yellow, but at half dosage and
limited running on 100LL, may never be a problem. He is working at this
moment to incorporate a cleaner in his product.

Said no problem carrying in cockpit in a sealed container, very high
boiling point.

Said indefinite shelf life, and will not spoil in fuel, will not harm
MaGas or if you use some sort of anti-oxidation stuff like stabil in your
mogas.

He has 1 distributor that has been selling to Rotax community, and just
like the Subaru's, using 1/2 dosage.

Said a real nice thing for O2 sensor, that I will have on my 914, not much
conductive coating of lead will form.

My gut feeling is it will probably not make sticking wastegate problem
worst, and he said he has no personal experience with turbos to say it
will help.

I think I am convinced enough to try when I fly and need to use 100LL.

I have 2 Andair GAS135 Gasculators. I got hold of another bowl, and when I
will not be flying for a while will run some 100LL with Decalin through
the spare bowl with plumbing connected to bottom in an attempt to keep
carbs, fuel pressure regulator, and Flowscan transducers from catching up
with "Mogasnot".

Ron Parigoris