Re: Europa-List: 914 fuel pumps

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 fuel pumps
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 18:44:48

Simon Smith a crit :

>Further to all the discussion on parallel v series, I put fuel in my
>aircraft for the first time today and found an interesting "effect" that I
>had not expected.
>
>I have a 914 plumbed the latest series way (Nov 2004 issue 8).
>
>With only pump 1 running the fuel flows through "filter 1" which is fairly
>obviously the only way from the diagram.  With pump 2 running, it pulls the
>fuel through "filter 2" in preference to pulling it through filter 1 and
>pump 1.  However, with both pumps running all the flow is through filter
>one. I had sort of expected pump 2 to still draw through filter 2 but this
>is not the case. It would seem that filter 2 will only be used if pump 1
>and/or filter 1 fail in some way.  Has everyone else found the same or is
>anyone getting a different flow pattern with the series setup?

Simon and all,

Not too easy to figure out your fuel system, if you're not a Europa
builder ;-)
 From what you're telling us, I believe you've plumbed per the Rotax
"series" diagram. What I'm not sure of is, where is your "filter 2" ?
The "series" system draws fuel from only one point, so why a "filter 2" ?

What you need is a finger mesh strainer at each tank pickup point, a
drainable gascolator upstream of the pump assembly, and a drainable sump
at the lowest point of the fuel tank.

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France