Re: Europa-List: 914 fuel pumps

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 fuel pumps
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 15:18:13

Jan de Jong a crit :

>Parallel:
>Return line, including regulator return line valve, must guarantee the
>passage of 240 l/h (63 gal/h) without dropping more than 350 hPa (5 psi)
>- otherwise carburetor overflow.
>Total flow ranges between 90 l/h (24 gal/h) and 240 l/h (63 gal/h) - 1
>to 2 pumps.

Jan and all,

I'd be interested in learning more about your numbers. They seem far
greater than ours.

In our airplane I actually flowed about 53 L/h on the ground with each
of our standard Rotax 914 pumps. I did not bother to measure with both
pumps, as the goal was to ensure we were exceeding the 125 % max fuel
consumption limit, before first flight.

No fuel problem whatsoever in one year flying.

But I'll check shortly the flow with both pumps. All I have to do is
disconnect the line at the fuel pressure regulator connection.
Another check I'll conduct is run only one of the FF pickups to compare
with physical measurements, and get a ball park idea of the return flow.
My opinion is that with two pumps flowing 53 L/h in parallel, you'll
definitely flow less than twice that value.

I'd welcom any actual measurements, and would be glad to publish them.

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr