Europa-List: Aileron bellcrank assembly

Subject: Europa-List: Aileron bellcrank assembly
From: Keith Hickling <keithhickling@clear.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:03:57

I have just installed the aileron bellcrank assembly on the stbd wing of my XS,
with the long arm of the bellcrank towards the spar as shown in the manual.
There
is around 6 mm clearance between the front of the bellcrank arm and the spar,
but I have had to trim the holes in the double rib for the aileron pushrod
right back to spar, and the pushrod is still rubbing quite hard on the front
end of the double rib that is bonded onto the spar (the double rib seems to be
formed as one unit joined at the spar end).

I find this worrying because the bellcrank assembly presumably has constant
dimensions
and is mounted on the spar, so if mine binds on the spar, it should always
happen unless I have goofed and assembled it the wrong way. Should it be
mounted with the long arm towards the spar? Have others had to sand back the
glass
between the double rib that is bonded to the spar? The alternative would
be to pack out the mounting brackets with washers, but I feel this shouldn't be
necessary.

Help please!

Keith Hickling

Tail, ailerons, flaps completed
Wing reinforcements and W18 plates installed
working on cockpit module
8 months into build