Europa-List: Tie-downs

Subject: Europa-List: Tie-downs
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:59:44

It just occurred to me that the Europa has many caharacterisitics of the deH
Otter, a machine I drove for about 8 years into central Quebec and in
various seasons and shapes - land, water, ski.
Often, we would bivouac out overnight and the aircraft would need protection
---From everything especially wind (tempest).
One very useful ploy was (I know) 2x4 lumber, slipped into an envelope
stitched into the wing top covers at the peak of lift. This destroyed any
lift (well, most) and steadied the 60 footer in gales. Very useful at the
dock in summer gales and in snowstorms.
Now we can't carry full covers, or there'd be no room for the carrot juice,
but it would be possible to inflate a plastic insert with angry corners to
do the same job - without all the covering material, if judiciously designed
to cling to the critical areas of the wing. In fact, experience would
dictate that not all the wing would need to be equipped - my guess is 60%
around the aileron area - but I,ve been wrong before.
No, I'm not puffing anything.
Ferg