Re: Europa-List: Kick back is back

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Kick back is back
From: William Mills <william@wrmills.plus.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 06:58:02

Remi, Jean Philippe, and All,

To try to minimise the effect Remi has described, I have developed a
technique as part of my pre-flight walk-around.  When I get to the business
end, I turn the prop several times in the normal direction of rotation and
then when it feels freed-up, I rotate it backwards to meet the compression
and at the same time, take up the 30 degs slack in the slipper clutch.  I am
sure this technique helps and the amount of reverse rotation is not enough
to affect the oil priming.  The other action I took when I replaced my 912
with a 912S, was to increase the magneto gaps to 0.020" (from 0.016"), which
has the effect of slightly reducing the amount of retardation at tick-over,
but probably has a minimal effect at >4,000 RPM.  It also makes the
tick-over run much more smoothly.  The increase of magneto gap was not my
idea, but it came from a Brit with well over 1,000 hours in Europas.  If
anyone knows why Rotax set the mags at 0.012 to 0.016, please let me know.
(Apart from selling more sprag clutches, of course!)

Best wishes,
William