Re: Europa-List: Kick back is back

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Kick back is back
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:00:34

> In spite of having the heavy duty starter, a 6 months
> old 28 Amp-hour battery, an ignition switch wired so
> that only one channel is energized during starting,
> pulling the choke only after a few prop turns, I
> experienced the infamous kick back again last week,
> during a few degrees above freezing cold start.
>
> To help solving this problem, I am thinking at
> replacing the low cost battery by a high performance
> one such as the Odyssey or Genesis.  Any suggestion on
> where to find this sort of batteries in Europe ?
>
> Remi Guerner

I also have had two instances of kickback on the first
turn of the starter switch. But they were  2 degree C days so
I thought it was OK. If it happens during the summer I
will be concerned !

Do you turn the engine over a few blades by hand first
(MAGS OFF !) to reduce the friction level in there ?

I am not sure about only putting one magneto on at start
time. If this IS of benefit perhaps you could try changing
over the earth connections under the cowling to see if the
magneto you are NOT using should really be the one you ARE
using.

My battery is a 12 AHr Red Top and when I fitted it 18
months ago in place of the 17 AHr normal type battery it
made not a fraction of difference to the non-starting I
was experiencing then.

Richard