Europa-List: Re: Rotax regulator

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Rotax regulator
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:41:56

Hi Richard,

>> What if it doesn't tame
>>the regulator output ?
>>

>Is there some way of checking this ? Perhaps on your
>student's test rig ?

Hmm, remember that was two years ago. I'm afraid the alternator might
now lie on a forgotten shelf...

>>Have you considered including a relay in the B/R to bus
>>circuit ? Bob Nuckolls' Aeroelectric figure Z 16 could
>>be of interest. My design is a variation on Bob's
>>theme, with small changes due to the different
>>regulator.
>>

>I just didn't want to use a physical switch/cb/relay to go
>from an overvolt situation of maybe 30 A to nothing.
>
> It
>would not be good for the switch/cb/relay, IF
>disconnecting the C terminal turns off the regulator then
>there will be no actual disconnection spark anywhere,

Grounding the C wire will shut down the regulator. That is, IF it is
working properly. But then where does that OV condition come from ?

>>The C wire is a sense wire, so AWG 22 and 5 amps is
>>about right.
>>

>5 amps actual seems like a lot for a sense wire. That
>means that the regulator B+/R terminals produce up to 24A
>of which 5A goes back into the regulator ?

5 amps is the usual CB rating for AWG 22 wire. And for mechanical
reasons, AWG 22 is about the smallest wire used for wiring light aircraft.
Remember, if your crowbar fires, the current will flow from the bus bar
via the OV CB, to the ground, tripping the CB in the process.

>I have seen your fine pictures of the cleaned out
>regulator. It appears that B+ and R are connected together
>inside anyway !

Yes

>Could you send me the schematic of the circuit inside there ?

Will do. Just give me some time to sort the 40+ MB of data Jerome just
sent me. I would like to publish something really up to date.

>I have a friend who dabbles in obscure components. He
>looked up TP154E. It is a Thrystor 800 volt 25 A 40mA and
>an alternative would be 2N6509 which in my catalogue is
>about 1 GBP - say 2 euros !

Great !
Thank you,
Gilles