Europa-List: Re: Rotax regulator

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Rotax regulator
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:47:07

Gilles Thesee wrote:

>> Do you think it is right if the alternator needs to
>> be switched off manually for any reason that it
>> should be done through the C terminal (switching an
>> amp or two) rather than the B+/R terminal which is
>> perhaps pushing out 15 - 20 amps.

> The Rotax regulator will normally shut down when the C
> terminal is grounded (zero volt). Can't predict what it
> does when just disconnected. What if it doesn't tame
> the regulator output ?

Is there some way of checking this ? Perhaps on your
student's test rig ?

> Have you considered including a relay in the B/R to bus
> circuit ? Bob Nuckolls' Aeroelectric figure Z 16 could
> be of interest. My design is a variation on Bob's
> theme, with small changes due to the different
> regulator.

I just didn't want to use a physical switch/cb/relay to go
---From an overvolt situation of maybe 30 A to nothing. It
would not be good for the switch/cb/relay, IF
disconnecting the C terminal turns off the regulator then
there will be no actual disconnection spark anywhere, it
will be in the electronics.

> The C wire is a sense wire, so AWG 22 and 5 amps is
> about right.

5 amps actual seems like a lot for a sense wire. That
means that the regulator B+/R terminals produce up to 24A
of which 5A goes back into the regulator ?

I have seen your fine pictures of the cleaned out
regulator. It appears that B+ and R are connected together
inside anyway !

Could you send me the schematic of the circuit inside there ?

I have a friend who dabbles in obscure components. He
looked up TP154E. It is a Thrystor 800 volt 25 A 40mA and
an alternative would be 2N6509 which in my catalogue is
about 1 GBP - say 2 euros !

> Hope this helps,

It does and I hope I have helped in return.