RE: Europa-List: Monowheel Tire & Tube life

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Monowheel Tire & Tube life
From: Paul McAllister <paul.mcallister@qia.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:25:34

Hi Jim,

I'm using a MCleary Airtrack 7/600, but inflated at 18 PSI.  My first inner
tube failure was at around 220 hours.  The low pressure running caused
chafing of the tube side wall to the point where it rubbed through.  At that
time I used the same tire and just put a new tube in it.

The second failure was at 370 hours for the same reason however I noticed
that although I had tread left the side walls of the tire were very weak
when compared to a new tire.  For the same pressure it looked much
"flatter".  I am assuming that internal structure of the tire was fatigued
do to running it flat.

What I am thinking of doing is to replace the tire every 200 hours and the
tubes every 100 hours.

Regards,  Paul