Re: Europa-List: Stainless steel Firewall

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Stainless steel Firewall
From: DaveMiller@avivacanada.com
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:41:08
 24/10/2005 08:41:14 AM,
        Serialize complete at 24/10/2005 08:41:14 AM

Peter and Chris Timm <cptimm@telus.net>
Sent by: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
10/23/2005 03:02 PM
Please respond to europa-list

        To:     <europa-list@matronics.com>
        cc:

Thanks Peter,

Your article in the COPA newsletter was excellent, it's a pity that it was
only available to Canadian readers - has a copy gone to the Europa Flyer ?

I'm trying to persuade the local inspector to accept my carb heat system,
and every bit of information that I can assemble will help. I'm told that
Wayne Juniper from transport will be contacting the PFA re the Skydrive, I
hope the response is positive.

I have cabin heat, taking air from the duct on the bottom right side of
the cowling, over a glove on the muffler, through an air box to the cabin.
If push comes to shove, I can modify this to provide heat to the air box,
but it will end up being a redundant system

Dave A061

Dave,
  You wanted to now, if anybody in B.C. or Alberta is flying without the
benefits of carb heat. My 912 S powered Classic has been operating for 265
hrs with a modified air-box, which operates with combustion air from a
Naca
inlet in the lower cowling and can be switched to combustion air from
inside
the cowling when icing occurs. It is very hot under the Classics cowling!
The interesting part is ,that I have never had to use this hot air option,
even though we have crossed the Coastal Range and the Rockies several
times
and flown all the way to the Maritimes and the Yukon with never any
indication of carb ice ( read the story in the October Copa Newsletter
).The
air is routed from the Naca inlet through 3" Scat tubing into a homebuilt
distributing box on top of the airbox, then through the flat JR filter
into
the airbox. Within the Scat tube I installed a 3" x 2" " Y" , which
provides
cockpit ventilation air to two metal eye-ball vents in the lower centre of
the cockpit module. Works very well.
I believe that the XS cowling does not provide as much heat as the Classic
,
which in many ways is good. I still do not fully understand , why some
Europa owners have problems with carb ice. I frequently fly at the
condensation level with temperatures at the critical level with never a
murmur from the Rotax, as I am sure, other Rotax operators do as well.
These are my two-bits worth . Hope it helps.

Peter Timm
U.K. # 110
Pemberton, B.C.