Re: Europa-List: Jabiru as alterantive

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Jabiru as alterantive
From: GLENN CROWDER <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:57:29

Hey again Fred!
    I keep reading that cooling drag can be as much as 35% of the entire
drag of the aircraft.
That could be a big factor on Alex's plane as the hot air coming off the rad
is exiting in a very
clean area - the sides of the cowling.  This supposedly is the most
efficient exit location, especially
if the exhaust air is accelerated back to the freestream velocity with a
converging duct right
before it exits.  This way minimal drag is created by the cooling system.
  I have a diverging bell shaped inlet duct about 15" long that slows and
pressurizes the incoming air before the rad and also a converging duct after
the rad to accelerate the hot air back to free stream
velocity.  Unfortunately, this duct exits underneath right in front of the
monowheel in a very
dirty area and probably is not helping.  I may try to redesign my exit duct
to go out the sides
of the cowling, or possibly duct the exit air underneath and on past the
monowheel before it
exits.

                                                        Glenn