Re: Europa-List: Jabiru as alterantive

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Jabiru as alterantive
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:39:30

>  I keep reading that cooling drag can be as much
> as 35% of the entire drag of the aircraft.

I sure ain't gonna look that up in such an abstruse text,
but I seem to recall Hoerner's analyis would support 35% of
fuselage drag, not total.

What is interesting is that of all the aerodynamic mods Roy
Lopresti did for Grumman to make my AA-5 an AA-5A Cheetah,
the allegation is that it came down to reduced cooling drag
and better cowling shape.  I tried all them other airframe
items to make mine a pseudo-Cheetah, and got nothing
discernible.  I long ago ripped them all off, as she was
illegal as hell.  The whole package was worth only 7 more
MPH per the Cheetah POH (a document never understated!).

Reg,
Fred F.