Re: Europa-List: europa club subscriptions running out

From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 19:22:26

>Please renew my membership.  I'll send you my
>Mastercard

Paul - thanks for the renewal. Apologies to everyone on the Matronics
list for replying here, but I think there are things that everyone
needs to be aware of.

First, I counsel against sending card numbers (or bank details) in
e-mail messages unless you use PGP or encryption of equivalent
strength. Yes, people have previously sent me their card numbers in
plain-text e-mail, some using a similar splitting tactic, and (as far
as I know) none have suffered ill as a result. However, there is a
first time for everything!

Second, this illustrates the care needed when replying to messages on
e-mail lists. Please think before hitting that "reply" button. You
may have to copy and paste the address you really need if the reply
should go to an individaul instead of the whole list. (But we all
know that - we read Matt Dralle's usage guidelines every month, don't
we?)

Third, your card number is now available on (I believe) 3 archives
open to public access. I suggest that you ask Matt Dralle, Andrew
Sarangan, and (possibly) Steve Dunsmuir to excise these 2 messages
---From their archives as soon as possible. I'd ask that everyone else
who received them from the list please delete them from their own
machines too, please, as a courtesy to Paul.

regards

Rowland