Re: Europa-List: Increasing Max T/O weight in Holland to 1450 lbs/ 657

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Increasing Max T/O weight in Holland to 1450 lbs/ 657
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 09:40:44

Tim,
                I may be well off-base for this but, there was a
Canadian-built Europa which was created in Calgary, Alberta and registered
with a Max T/O weight of 1500lb. This I'm told is the result of the rule
which bases the MTO on the wing area, thus permitting a higher weight than
PFA-regulated machines.
            Consider this move at an airfield 3500 ft ABL and reaching
summertime temps of over 35deg C. The builder gave me this info at OSH when
we met at the Eur tent. He said they took off at  max weight at 35deg many
times and had no trouble with that (he was not a tyro) so it appears that
greater latitude prevails here. Naturalluy one can register at a greater
weight, but use it only for planning for a smooth-air trip for
endurance/range, and still qualify for aeros at a lesser weight. What
overshadows things here is that the ever-voracious givvermint taxes aircraft
annually on its weight. Thus lesser registered weight results in a lesser
financial burden (for the life of the 'plane). Just as a pound weight saved
lasts for the life of the machine, a dollar saved does also. We now pay
taxes on taxes on taxes, so you can imagine the calcs.
Good luck,
Ferg
flamers accepted