Europa-List: Re: Funny fuel gauge

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Funny fuel gauge
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 16:51:54

Hi Matt,

I have the 912S and I have one flow meter only. The flow meter is located near
the firewall before the tee which supplies each carburettor. I located a tee
with
the restrictor and the fuel return line at the high point (to catch any
vapour)in
the fuel system between the mechanical fuel pump and the flow meter.

For accuracy, it is good to avoid bends in the hose at the inlet and outlet of
the flow meter. It is also important to fit a pressure pulse damper at the flow
meter inlet or outlet (location is not important). If you do not have a damper,
you will get erratic flow readout due to pulses from the fuel pump and
irregular opening of the carburettor needle valves. Matronics has a very nice
item at http://www.matronics.com/fuelchec/dampener.html for USD 47.00. However,
I chose instead to use a tee with a u-loop of fuel hose with a blank end
fitting to create a trapped air bubble to do the same job. It works fine.

If you have a 914, perhaps you should talk to others who have been down this
road
regarding one or two flow meters.

Cheers, John

<<<<<
Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Funny fuel gauge
From: Matthew Carpenter <europaxs@gmail.com>
Did you have to put two fuel flow meters on your EIS??
I called them, and they said because it's a 914 and has return fuel that
I needed two of them. Matt Carpenter