Re: Europa-List: Mikes Fears, Mod 70

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mikes Fears, Mod 70
From: JR Bob Gowing <gowingjr@acr.net.au>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 14:25:46

Tony and all

I can't underestand what all the fuss is about in Retaining the cables.

We put them there because that was what was approved. What they have to do
most of the time is little -

When the fuse is standing vertical the weights may touch lightly on one side
or the other and friction zilch.

In a balanced turn it is the same.

It seems to me that the only time the weight may  push firmly against the
limit structure is if one wing is being retarded enough to begin turning the
aircraft, say in entering a ground loop or it a wing hits something solid
when it could possibly break the  structure. In this case you will be out of
action for some time anyway working on wing repairs. But you would have had
no time to experience any increased friction in the pitch control mechanism.

J R (Bob) Gowing, UK Kit 327 in Oz - and yes I did spend some time studying
structures.