RE: Europa-List: Mikes Fears, Mod 70

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mikes Fears, Mod 70
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 16:33:20
Received-SPF: none

>>> Your fears are shared in my hanger as well. In that I am in the USA,
I will take my new stronger mass balance arm to my trusty welder and
have a cable attachment flange put on it.  As you so wisely concluded,
the cable installation was not designed well. The idea is fine, but if a
builder can not do it well, it is a bad design.  I installed the
turnbuckles and feel that fixed the design problem.

Your comments are reflected by some in NZ also and I know of three
builders who,  myself included, will be welding a cable attachment
flange to it and using the existing turnbuckle tensioned stay wires on
it. My father, who is a mechanical engineer, told me many years ago that
if you want something to stay put make it out of triangles and that's
what I intend retaining on my mass balance arm.

Regards

Tony