Re: Europa-List: Vent lines and the 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Vent lines and the 914
From: david MILNER <dave@wmilner.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:19:32

Erich,
It is normal in automotive practice to vent the crankcase to the carb side
of the air filtern not the atmospheric side.
This prevents contamination of the air filter. Some points to bear in mind
:- Oil vapour through the carb effectivley
reduces the octane rating of the fuel so is best avoided if possible.
Performance auto engines use a catch tank.
Heavy breathing of an engine may indicate excessive wear in the cylinder
bore/ pison rings. Maybe a compression check
might be in order, this assumes your engine is past the "running in" stage.

Regards
Dave Milner
Classic mono