Re: Europa-List: Fuel drain valves

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel drain valves
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:31:39

> I am in the process of picking fuel drain valves.  What have other
> builders been using and what is the best location for a tri-gear?
>
> Thanks,
> John   A230

Have you perused Mod #33 on Europa Aircraft's web site?  It uses SafeAir drain
vales, and you need at least an add'l two-hole, FPA 903A outlet fitting if not
buying the mod.

The pickup tube arrangement in #33 looks ideal for the mono, but on the
tri-gear,
arranging the pickup tube to draw from either front or back of tank is a
compromise
either way, because it's sensitive to ground slope when taking samples
per my tests.  I think that mandates at least a regular-sized gascolator also.
However, my shop's Director of FAA Compliance, Donna Dudat, has advised that
only a separate sump tank rather than gascolator will be close to 100%
effective.
So I constructed a 10 oz. fiberglass sump which is undergoing its
solvent-resistance
testing, though admittedly conservative.

I have mounted the drains on the floor, under the seats.  Due to clearance
issues,
rather than Mod #33 parts, I fabricated a mounting arrangement using 90-deg.
brass elbow and hose nipple, balsa wood and fiberglass.

Regards,
Fred F.