Fw: Europa-List: Electrical questions

Subject: Fw: Europa-List: Electrical questions
From: Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:08:59

 The regulator referred to is not made by Ducatti but by Tympanium, follow
 this link for more info: http://www.tympanium.com/app.html

 As with all permanent magnet alternator shunt regulators you need to ensure
 the heat sink face is attached to a metallic surface.
 Screwing them to a plastic firewall inside a hot engine bay is part of the
 problem.
 Poor AC and DC wiring/connections to and  from the regulator and alternator
 is another.
 Inadvertently disconnecting from the battery whilst the engine is running
is
 another.

 Information on Ducatti alternators from:
 http://www.ducatienergia.it/home_i.htm

 Graham Laucht

> > > I've directly heard of several such failures. I recently took some
> > pictures
> > > of the internals of a failed rectifier/regulator. With a fellow pilot
> and
> > > electric engineering researcher, we are performing some tests on a
Rotax