Re: Europa-List: Electrical questions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Electrical questions
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:04:31

Thesee Gilles wrote:

> ...The Rotax
> rectifier/regulator has a very poor service record, and the Rotax
> suggestion to use it to run the main pump does not seem very advisable.
> Remember the 914 is an ELECTRICALLY DEPENDANT engine, and in case the
> rectifier/regulator toasts, you'd be left with very few options. Unless
> you design real electrical redundancy.

I agree we want guaranteed and/or redundant power supply to at least one 914
fuel
pump, but I can't find actual data to class the reg as very poor, though.
There are anecdotal reports, but FAA's Service Difficulty Reports -- as as
voluntary
program it's a database of anecdotal reports also -- shows no
alternator/regulator
failures.  It does cite other problems, many familiar in Rotax service
bulletins.

A reasonable issue is heat, so I've mounted the regulator in the tunnel (have
tri-gear),
rather than in the the engine room.

Regards,
Fred F.