Re: Europa-List: Faulty Oil Temp sensor

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Faulty Oil Temp sensor
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 06:04:57

Carl & Dot wrote:
> I think my preferred choice would be to mount the sender in the return line
> from the bottom of the crank casing (would need a metal block to screw into)
> where I assume it would be at its hottest. An easier fix might be to bolt it
> into the oil tank somewhere. This would be simpler, and there would be less
> vibration. Possibly a hole tapped into the centre of the oil tank drain plug
> would work.

I believe Rotax is sensing cooled oil -- not the hot stuff in the return line
nor
similar in the tank, and they set the redline temp premised upon the effect
of mounting in the engine block where they do.  I would caution against any mod
which cannot verify the Rotax redline temp is still valid, or proper testing
to set a new value.  So far we have one reported instance of a complete failure
only alleged due to vibration.  A google search I did turns up nothing else,
nor is there a service bulletin.  If vibration can fail the sensor, then the
temp instrument will go blooey, so then just replace it.  A significant cause
of homebuilt accidents is this type of experimentation, resulting in doing
things
in ways not seen on production aircraft for presumably valid reason.

Regards,
Fred F.