Europa-List: Faulty Oil Temp sensor

Subject: Europa-List: Faulty Oil Temp sensor
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 08:53:42

> Roger Anderson wrote:
>>     The sensor is unscrewed from the engine block and is mounted on the air
>> intake just below the engine using a P clip. It is then re-connected
>> hydraulically with the engine using a flexible coupling. I used a 0.305
>> metre length of Speedflex (SS braided Teflon hose) with 1/8" NPT terminals -
>
> Perhaps I'm missing something, but how can the oil circulate within the tubing
> to give you an accurate temperature reading?

I was about to say exactly the same. Indeed if the sensor is now close to
the airstream then it will be subjected to cooling air and will underread
considerably. The mod would make sense for the oil PRESSURE sensor, but not
for the oil TEMPERATURE sensor.

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                                 email : rholder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, EGSG (Stapleford)
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)