Europa-List: Faulty Oil Temp sensor

Subject: Europa-List: Faulty Oil Temp sensor
From: Carl & Dot <carlp@ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:05:56

We had a problem earlier this week and wondered if anyone else has had the
same.

Started A/C and warmed up prior to taxi. After about 10 mins temp was
indicating 160C (30 degrees above redline). Water temps (ie: cylinder head
thermocouple) appeared to be ok so we taxied back to the stand and took
cowlings off - nothing appeared to be over hot.  When engine cooled down
temps were still abnormal.

I have a spare temp sensor but before changing it wondered if these wear out
frequently or if I should be looking elsewhere. The sensor is connected to a
Grand Rapids EIS. Engine is a Rotax 912 with about 550 hours (dont know if
the sensor has been changed previously).

I seem to recall that the oil pressure senders are prone to failure which is
possibly caused by engine vibration.

It will be fairly easy to test the sender once it has been removed as it
seems to be a variable resistor of about 1k ohm at 20C falling rapidly to
about 100 ohms when heated to 100C. At least those are the readings on the
spare.

The point I am interested in is whether these sensors are prone to failure
(I have only owned the engine for the last 50 hrs).

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS.