Re: RE : Europa-List: roll trim tab and servo installation

Subject: Re: RE : Europa-List: roll trim tab and servo installation
From: Michael Grass <M.Grass@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:08:35

Hi all,

We are dealing here with 2 (little) problems.

1. The plane has 12V but the servo needs 5 V.

You can go to your local electronic shop and buy for approx. 4 dollar the
parts.
you need
1 Electrolytic capacitor of 1000 uF min.40V (the arrow with the minus sign
must be connected to ground)
1 Voltage regulator from the 7805 family. You can get them as a 1A, 2A or 3A
any one will do. (pin 1 is to the left side if you hold the regulator so you
can read the label, 2 is the middle 3 the right one)
1 MP capacitor 100nF min 40V (must be mounted very close to the regulator
pins)
1 Electrolytic capacitor of 100 uF min.40V  (the arrow with the minus sign
must be connected to ground)

I hope you guys will be able to see the drawing!

12V Input--------+--------(1)-7805-(3)-----+--------+----- 5Volt output
                            !                      (2)              !
!
                            !                        !               !
!
                        1000uF                 +-100nF-+           100uF
                           (-)                      !
(-)
                            !                        !
!
                            !                        !
!
ground -----------+---------------+-------------------+------ground

The regulators back side should be mounted against an aluminum plate as a
heat sink.

2. Controlling the servo.

You will be able to get at your hobby shop a little servo tester. It has a
knob (Potentiometer) which can be mounted in your panel and you just dial in
your Trim position. This servo tester just sits electrically between your
5Volt regulator and the servo.

BTW. Bob Jacobson supplied my servo, servo tester electronic and small
hardware needed for aprox 100US. He did not supply the electronics for the
Voltage drop down regulator, but as said before, you can get it at your
local electronic shop.

Hope that helps.

Michael Grass
TriGear A266