Re: Carb Balancing - Flow Balancer?

Subject: Re: Carb Balancing - Flow Balancer?
From: Dean Wiegand <dwiegand@surewest.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:47:26
Pete,

Flow based vs. suction based carb balancing.

I too have a flow based meter (again that I used on the
MG Midget SU carbs) and then switched to a suction
(vacuum port) based meter.

It is true that both methods measure air flow into the
engine but the suction based method is a bit more
accurate since it takes the readings after the airflow
has passed the venturi, has atomized fuel in the mix
and is closer to the destination.

So, it is really a measure of accuracy...but the less
accurately they are balanced, the shorter the life of
the engine (from rough running, excess deposits, etc.).
Also, remember you are running your car at 25% to 50 %
max power on the motorway, but in cruise you are
running the aircraft engine at 50% to 85% max
power...more efficiency but more wear and shorter life
- anything you can do to prolong it, is for your wallet
and your safety.

Dean Wiegand
Sacramento CA USA
dwiegand@surewest.net