Battery Charging

Subject: Battery Charging
From: MJKTuck@cs.com
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:15:17
Hi Folks,

Here's an easy one for all you electric wizards out there. I usually take off
the top cowling when I want to charge my battery - a couple of times each
winter and leave it on overnight. To charge I disconnect the battery from
everything as I think I was once told to do this - at least for my car...
something to do with damaging the alternator.

Do I have to do this? If not then I can just have a couple of leads
permanently attached and the charger on a timer such that I can automatically
have the battery charging for an hour or so a day just to keep it topped up
without having to remove the cowling - and go down the hanger the night
before I want to go flying.

Any thoughts as to why this would not be a good idea?

Regards,
Martin Tuck
N152MT
Wichita, Kansas