: Mono wheel vs. Tri-Gear debate

Subject: : Mono wheel vs. Tri-Gear debate
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 11:54:43
> Subject: Re:  Mono wheel vs. Tri-Gear debate
> > Paul:
> >             I think you have missed something - the advantage of the
> > monowheel is its size - it is a tundra tire. That means when the engine
> > quits (not 'if') you can put down on more land area than if you carry 3
> > teeny-weenies for wheels. They will dig in and over you go.
> >             If you were to find a plowed field, you might make repairs
and
> > take off again - not at all possible with the teeny-weenies.
> > Also I cannot understand why an aircraft would not takeoff with flap
> > extended, but would with it retracted - perhaps the field was 14,000
feet
> > long....
> >             If you select the model from such aesthetics as looks,
popularity, trade-in value, and style then 3 wheels is your thing  - perhaps
the Banbi. But if you want safety, security and plain efficiency the mono is
the thing --- IMHO of course.

From: "Michael Parkin" <Mikenjulie.Parkin@btopenworld.com>
Subject: Re:  Mono wheel vs. Tri-Gear debate
> Fergus,>
> On many aircraft it is advantageous to take of with flap up.
> For 'Performance A' aircraft when calculating the 'Net Take Off Flight
> Path', some a/c can make the second segment climb gradient with flap up
but> not with take-off flap.  This is the case with the Falcon 20 under hot
and
> high situations.> regards,> Mike Parkin

Michael,
            I suppose we shouldn't conduct this discussion on the net
forever, but the subject is topical. If second-segment climb is the
criterion upon which the design is based, then perhaps separate flap
controls are mandated.
           Is the Europa a 'Performance A' aircraft? I don't know the
designation.
" On many aircraft it is advantageous to take of with flap up." I don't know
of many, but wonder if Europa is one?
            The Net Takeoff Path is not one for which I believe the
factory/engine group has made figures available on which to base design
change.
            Nor are separate flap controls an argument for three wheels,
since monos can incorporate them if needed.
            However, if Hot-and-heavy is a serious threat to the Europa, I
suggest that rather than build separate flaps, (a) find the runway which
permits takeoff and acceleration to cruise climb, (b) lighten the load, (c)
build a Banbi, or (d) wait till it cools.
cheers, Ferg A064