Re: Mono wheel vs. Tri-Gear debate

Subject: Re: Mono wheel vs. Tri-Gear debate
From: JohnDHeykoop@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 04:51:08
Two points that have not yet been mentioned by others:

First, an aircraft with a retractable undercarriage is by far the safest
option should you ever have to 'land on water'. This ought to be an important
consideration for the growing number of UK Europa pilots who regularly fly
their aircraft to the the continent. Don't say 'it will never happen to me'.
Over the years many light aircraft have ended up in the English Channel, and
all safety-concious pilots should give serious thought to this aspect. I know
the Rotax is extremely reliable, but you can end up having to ditch for other
reasons as well (fuel problems, engine fire, or whatever). Anyway, I know I
will feel a lot safer crossing the Channel in a Mono, particularly on the
longer routes (e.g. Isle of Wight to Cherbourg).

Secondly, the Mono is a lot easier to get into. It is a big step up onto that
tri-gear wing. Anyone who is the wrong side of sixty ought to bear that in
mind. You might not have any problems now, but will you still be able to
climb onto that wing in ten years time? And what about your passengers? E.g.
your wife?

John Heykoop
XS Monowheel #536