Re: Mono wheel vs. Tri-Gear debate

Subject: Re: Mono wheel vs. Tri-Gear debate
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 14:50:30
Paul:
            I thinbk you have missed something - the advantage of the
monowheel is its size - it is a tundra tire. That means when the engine
quits (not 'if') you can put down on more land area than if you carry 3
teeny-weenies for wheels. They will dig in and over you go.
            If you were to find a plowed field, you might make repairs and
take off again - not at all possible with the teeny-weenies.
            There MUST BE a speed difference since the one tire and 1-1/2kg
retraction gear is not equal  to the weight of three extended teeny-weenies.
Also I cannot understand why an aircraft would not takeoff with flap
extended, but would with it retracted - perhaps the field was 14,000 feet
long....
            If you select the model from such aesthetics as looks,
popularity, trade-in value, and style then 3 wheels is your thing - same as
every other kiddycar operator -= perhaps the Banbi. But if you want safety,
security and plain efficiency the mono is the thing --- IMHO of course.
Cheers, Ferg Kyle
Europa A064