Re: Good news and bad

Subject: Re: Good news and bad
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 19:39:05

>> the outrigger collapse and the gear collapse, as observed by others and
> myself.  The over- center adjustment would seem to be incorrect but it
> appears to be a fine delicate adjustment as well.  Any comments?
> Ken Carpenter
> A123

Message text written by McFadyean
>The load of one side of the aircraft on a collapsed outrigger would try to

pull up the flaps, hence a force that was also trying to raise the
undercarriage.<

It sounds to me like this has been precipitated by the outrigger not being
fully locked down in the first place. This can be encouraged if the pivot
bolt for the outrigger is too tight. Andy Draper has put out some info on
this after I found this out during test flying on my Europa. I have written
a Europa Club mod (already PFA approved) which is coming out shortly which
will improve the pivot both to minimise wear and ensure free movement. This
might be an appropriate moment to point out the value of microswitches on
the outriggers to show when the legs are fully locked down. I definitely
look for '3 greens' before landing.

Nigel Charles