spinner

Subject: spinner
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 19:39:07
Message text written by "Ruth Stoveken"
>Hi gents, I am new here. I have a classic Europa with about 160hrs. It has
always had some vibration so After talking with Jim Thursby I flew it with
the spinner removed. It is then the smoothest plane I have ever been in. I
think my problem was and is that the spinner wobbled because it is not
exactly straight. My problem, how the heck does one get it on straight?. I
have tried many times to no avail. Jim Stoveken
_<

Mine runs pretty true and, until I had the prop blade cuffs reset for
greater pitch adjustment, it ran with very little vibration. It now needs
balancing. For owners with the large Classic spinner I have the following
suggestions:

1. Buy a carbonfibre backplate from Graham Singleton - it is much stiffer
(anyone using one of these in conjunction with the NSI prop can contact me
for advice on how to accommodate the brushplate).
2. If you are using a VP prop make use of the motor housing to  mount a
frontplate further forward. John Scott made some of these to fit NSI motor
housings. This enables the frontplate to be permanently mounted to the
spinner and be a firm sliding fit over the motor. This mod alone does more
than anything to stabilise the spinner.
3. In conjunction with the new front and backplates I used a record deck to
ensure the spinner was mounted true to the prop hub.

If any one would like more details on this let me know.

Nigel Charles