Good news and bad

Subject: Good news and bad
From: kbcarpenter@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:25:13
 <014601c1d1f6$e7ecf270$6300a8c0@dumass> <v04220802b8c2177a9747@[195.8.75.236]>
 <3C9D47F2.ECF43887@ameritech.net>

I finally got the inserting of the wings worked out.  What helped a lot was
replacing the flap pins with ones that are one inch longer and tapered down
to 1/4 inch.  Had a machinist friend turn.them.  Now the pin slides into the
swivel bearing before the other pins start to engage and if I wiggle the
wing around, the flap pin is not coming out.  Also found the spar cups too
tight.  The plane seemed about  ready to fly.
Now the bad news.  Yesterday, I was taxing the plane about 15 MPH;  the left
outrigger folded up, the wing started to drop to the ground, there was a
loud bang and the gear collapsed.  The Retract lever had ripped out the side
of the guide plate even with the lock in place.  The event damaged one and
maybe two prop blades.  The retract lever is badly bent and the guide plate
broken.  Guess I am lucky it was not worse.  It is a grass field and did not
scratch up the plane.  I have inspected the gear arms and the over-center
adjustment.  I plan to talk with tech support.  It appears to me that the
flap arm pushes the retract mechanism enough to bring it over-center and
encourages it to retract.  Only the locked retract level holds it back.
Once it gets over-center, the retract lever cannot keep the gear from coming
up when on the ground.   Have others had this problem?  I hear about people
landing on grass fields and bouncing without ill effect.  My bounce was
minor and at a slow speed.  I have no idea why the outrigger collapsed.  I
think that started the chain of events.  There seemed to be a second between
the outrigger collapse and the gear collapse, as observed by others and
myself.  The over- center adjustment would seem to be incorrect but it
appears to be a fine delicate adjustment as well.  Any comments?
Ken Carpenter
A123