Re: Fuel tank positioning

Subject: Re: Fuel tank positioning
From: Dave DeFord <davedeford@home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 00:36:38
Be sure to leave some extra space when fitting your tank.  The tank material
continues to bulge and sag for quite a while, when subjected to the weight
of the fuel load.  We followed the directions in the manual, and then had
quite a struggle to displace the tank enough to install the starboard wing.
It remained stable in that position while we finished building, but then
drooped downward after being filled with fuel for several weeks.  We keep it
hangared, with the wings installed, so the tank cannot drop lower than the
top of the wing spar.  I wonder if we would have a problem if it were kept
on its trailer instead.

Similarly, the front of the tank bulged forward (between the spacers that
are supposed to hold it back), interfering with the aileron cross-link
pushrod.  We moved one end of the pushrod to the front of the bellcrank,
thus gaining about 10mm of clearance.  Further bulging has reduced the
clearance to about 5mm, but it seems stable now.  10mm of clearance is not
too much to leave between the tank and everything it could possibly
interfere with.

Dave DeFord
N135TD