Re: Fuel tank positioning

Subject: Re: Fuel tank positioning
From: Dave DeFord <davedeford@home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:03:12
> Was your experience with a Classic or an XS?
>
> The XS tank is alleged to be less prone to bulging but, as I am just about
> to install mine, I will take some additional precautions if you are
talking
> about the XS tank. The clearance between the aileron cross-link rod and
the
> front face of the tank is already closer than I would like it to be.

Our kit was an XS.  We didn't pre-soak the tank, assuming it to be made of
the new material.  (The manual didn't mention any pre-treatment.)  Don't
figure on pushing any bulges back into line.  I was unable to deflect the
bulges, even with a long lever.

On a related note, I see that the manual says to center the tank between the
sides of the cockpit module.  We had to shift ours slightly to one side,
centering the "tunnel" section of the tank instead, to avoid interference
with the future routing of the rudder cables.

Dave DeFord
N135TD