Re: Engine selection

Subject: Re: Engine selection
From: Jerry Davis <lts@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 20:00:11
I am not sure why people think three blades are less efficient. Like
everything in aircraft design propeller selection is a compromise. The most
important feature is probably that the propeller is well matched. The blade
size needs to be matched to the engine hp. Large diameter props are more
noisy and having a large diameter prop may limit the tops speed of the
aircraft. In my experience a 64" three blade wide chord (130 mm) is a good
choice on aircraft with the 912S at speeds up or near 160 kts. If you think
your A/C can go faster it might be advantageous to have a smaller prop but
at the loss of take off and climb performance.

Jerry

                                                LTS@avnet.co.uk
                                http://www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown