Re: The Common Good..

Subject: Re: The Common Good..
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 15:53:57
> So let's thumb our noses at Gates' gaffe and send in plain text so that
> Rowland can get on with his very valuable contibution!!!
> Happy Filings
> Ferg #A064

Could I endorse this plea, in a low key way ?  Fancy presentation adds little to
our kind of conversation and this is intended to be a community, hence the low
complexity level of the 'standard' form of the communication, so everyone can
participate.

(I should perhaps say that I am not describing the sending of complex messages
as always a wilful act.  I use the mail client that comes in Windows and it is
often hard to figure out what it is doing or going to do, and I had 35 years in
the computer industry ...)

A word on subscriptions while I am here.  The List Server software will only
accept messages from the List which come from a registered subscriber. When you
subscribe your email address is remembered and checked when you try to post a
message to the List.  If the sending email address is unknown the message is
bounced (this is an anti-spam procedure).

This can cause problems when you change your email address (or your employer or
email service provider changes the sending address, with or without telling
you).  This is often accompanied by redirection of incoming mail to the old
address, to the new address, so messages from the List continue to arrive. But
when you try to send to the List your messages are rejected because your new
while you are still able to use it.

I suspect there are a number of obsolete addresses among our 500 subscribers.
If anyone knows of any, you might like to let me know. I cannot just delete
them, unfortunately, but I might be able to get them removed over a period of
time.  Soap box restowed .....  :-)

John Cliff
Europa Club List Forum minder